We're proud to announce that we have received the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG) certification seal as part of our ongoing effort to rid...Keep Reading →
People’s attention spans are decreasing and so is their trust in advertising. 96% of people believe that the advertising industry does not act with integrity. 69% of these people attribute their mistrust to the advertisers’ desire to sell more effectively. What can brands do to overcome this attention deficit and build customer trust?
Location, location, location. Mobile in-app experiences are the place to be.
According to the latest market research, we spent 900 billion hours using apps in 2016, 150 billion more than the prior year. People are not only spending more time in apps, they multitask less on mobile devices. Unlike a desktop experience where you can view multiple windows on a single screen, the mobile experience is based on a single screen viewing format. Sure you can toggle back and forth between apps but this puts a strain on a person’s cognitive load, requiring more memory recall and actions taken to accomplish a task. In other words, multitasking on mobile is harder; therefore, people do it less.
Respect your audience and compliment what they’re already doing.
Being a meaningful part of people’s mobile experiences does not mean getting in their faces with display ads that crowd up their screens. Ads that get in the way of what people are trying to do on mobile devices decrease affinity and cause annoyance, frustration -even resentment. Instead of making this fatal mistake, look to enhance the things people love and are already doing, reward behavior and cheer them on. Things like rewarded video and augmented reality put users in the driver seat. It reassures them that they are in control and that viewing your content is a choice. Treating mobile users with respect builds trust and only strengthens your marketing efforts.
“Neuroscience researchers have found that embedded, opt-in ads rewarding attention yielded 8xs more mental engagement and significantly higher brand recall and positive sentiment than standard interstitial video ads.” -PR Newswire (2016)
Be relevant. Don’t be a marketing robot. Authenticity is key.
Now more than ever, people are looking for authenticity in content. That’s why influencer marketing and user generated content have become such significant parts of a the modern marketing strategy. Here are some practices to consider:
- Use natural photos of real people. Eye tracking studies show that users tend to completely ignore stock imagery of “generic people." Avoid this without breaking the bank by leveraging free, high quality stock imagery websites. In the last couple of years, there has been an explosion of websites that offer Instagram and Pinterest quality photos. There is some really great content out there, you just have to seek it out.
- Use unique brand-themed illustrations. This is an effective way of giving your brand personality and improving brand memorability.
- Strategically choose themes that resonate with your audience. Nielsen even did a study on global trust in advertising and identified themes that resonate with people based on demographic and geography. These higher level trends paired with your own consumer research can make for high impact marketing.
At the end of the day, reaching people with a message that drives behavior is never an exact science but Kiip is here to help you leverage the attention of app users, build trust, and achieve your marketing goals. We want our experiences to feel like they are made for real people, by real people which is why we take great care in respecting both users and our partner brands. Come work with us!
For more information email us at email@example.com.
More from Kiip
This month’s report analyzes the need for blockchain in advertising.
- What are the major issues the digital industry faces today?
- How to solve for ad fraud?
- How to grab the attention of consumers in a mobile environment?
- When are mobile users most […]
As temperatures drop and moments shift indoors, Viewing moments rise across mobile devices and connected TVs. This is great news for advertisers. Yet, connected TV advertising works better for some brands than for others. Learn everything you need to […]
Fifty-seven percent say they will host family or friends this Holiday season. Brands, learn how to reach the holiday planner in this month's M.I.C. Drop!